Thursday, October 27, 2011

Triathlon...what?!

Yeah I did a triathlon. After I had Nolan I decided to run a 10K to help lose the weight I had gained during my pregnancy. I decided to keep with the tradition of training for something after I had Cleo as well. This time though...a triathlon. I've always really enjoyed swimming, I didn't want to do another 10K but I certainly wasn't going to run more then 6 miles in one outing...so all signs pointed to a triathlon. Blaine was really supportive and helpful and allowed me the time needed to train for the race by coming home and being with the kids. After 3 months of training in swimming, biking and running the big day came on October 8th...

This is the night before...Nolan was geared up!

Setting up my bike at the transition zone...sounds like I really knew what I was doing huh?!

One of my best supporters!

One of my cutest supporters!

Giving me a pep talk as I got ready to ride my bike.

This was my favorite moment of the whole race. Nolan ran out to meet me with this goodie bag and was so excited to do it. I was so proud to be his mom and be doing something that I hope will be a good example for him and his sister one day.

My wonderful family who really made this possible for me to accomplish something that made me feel empowered and capable!

If you are interested here is a run down of how the race went for me. I was least worried about the swim portion of the race so I was glad that was first. I could start off with something that would hopefully give me some confidence. This particular race was set up for the swim to be in a pool and each racer jumped in one at a time. We lined up according to what our prospected best time had been in our training. I got nervous at that point and lined up around folks that were about a minute or so behind my best time. That was a mistake. Once I jumped in I was then stuck behind people and therefore I was losing time in the one thing I was supposed to be gaining time...oh well. People were nice and let me pass them at the walls so I was still able to do a good time of 10 minutes and 11 seconds. I then headed to the bike transition. My family was right there with me which felt great. I quickly put on my shirt, shorts, socks and shoes and then got stuck trying to put my water bottle holder around my waist which was frustrating. Then, I was moving again. The first 6 miles of the bike were for the majority uphill and hard...and full of people passing me! That was ok though, I just put my head down and tried to power through. Once I got to the turn around point I kind of wanted to cry because I knew that after that I would have some downhill moments! But...those moments didn't come fast enough. I was trying to push through instead of do any coasting so that I could make up time. Well, with about a mile left my hamstrings seized up and were cramping. I couldn't stop biking because it hurt too bad and continuing to bike, well that hurt too. There was one moment in my head where I thought there is no reason I should be able to be pushing myself up this hill so Heavenly Father is definitely with me! Another moment I said...the only thing harder than this is giving birth! Other thoughts were there too, most of which were positive which is another great thing about doing a race is the great exercise in positive thinking! Alright, so after the bike I headed to the transition area, where thankfully my family was there waiting for me again. I did the bike in 1 hr. 12 min. I got off the bike, exhausted, and started to run...well at least I knew I was running but I couldn't feel that I was running. Blaine said that I probably wouldn't feel my legs, but that I should just keep running. That is just what I did. The cramping of my hamstrings slowly wore off and I started feeling my legs again. At one hard part my friend ran past me on his way back in to the finish and said "dig deep". I needed that and that is just what I did. The run was so much easier then I expected. I just kind of moved along, kept putting one foot in front of the other and told myself that I was almost done. I was really going to finish this! I was actually starting to feel excited. Then, as I ran towards the finish line little Nolan came out with me and ran for a little bit along side. That was beyond exciting. I felt like I had really accomplished something and to have my son there with me made it that much more special. Also, to hear my husband yell out "go Megan!" It just felt so good to have the most important people in my life there supporting me and cheering me on. Then, I crossed the finish line and I had done it! I had finished a triathlon. It was really exciting and exhausting. I was happy to be with my family and talk through the race. Then, Cleo was hungry...so I nursed her. That was kind of nice to be a triathlete and a nursing mama! I did my run in 37 minutes which made the total 2 hours 3 minutes and 39 seconds. My goal was to 1st finish the race and 2nd do it under 2 hours and 30 minutes...so I was happy with my time! It was a great experience...hard, exhausting yet really empowering.


4 comments:

Jessica said...

Megan I still can't believe you did that! You are a rockstar! Go Megan!!!!

The Leakes said...

Go Megan! I'm so proud of you and inspired!

DeWitts said...

Love it!

hailey said...

Way to go Megan! I LOVE that picture of Nolan running to you...you definitely look like a proud and happy momma.:)