Blaine and I met with a doula last week to explore the option of having someone with us to assist in the labor process. It was a nice visit and both of us learned more about what a doula does.
Insert: in case you don't know a doula is a labor support person. If you are laboring and/or delivering at home, she is with you offering ways to help you through labor. She also supports the dad and makes sure he is comfortable. If you are birthing in the hospital, she is there to help you be informed in decisions you might have to make as well as offer the labor support.
We had a nice conversation about the pros and cons of having a doula and decided for our needs, we don't feel like having a doula is in our best interest. Blaine is ready and willing to be all of the labor support that I need.
Also, when we met with the doula she talked to us some about the inducement plans. She was pretty concerned about the steps that our doctor had laid out for us...being first, strip the membranes, second, break my water and third pitocin. She said she suggested not breaking the water because that can make the labor even more painful. She also talked a lot about trying to induce labor on my own before the scheduled time and how it didn't seem quite right that my doctor felt like he really would be able to make it for the birth if the stars didn't align perfectly (which is what I kind of felt, but it didn't seem bad for some reason?!) It made me really think about the inducement situation. I plan on talking to him more next week about the inducement. I want to know if I happen to go into labor before the inducement date if he thinks he will be available. I want to know if I haven't progressed at all before the inducement date if he will still move forward with it. I will probably come up with more questions in the next week!
For now, I am trying to walk, do cat stretches, drink raspberry tea, and I've ordered some herbs suggested by my good friend (thanks Cortney!).
More to come...and a baby to come too...yay!
2 comments:
Wow Megan! You guys have definitely done your homework and are asking all the right questions! I wish you the best as you continue to figure this out-thinking of you!
For some reason I missed the last post, or I would have commented on there. Way to go Megan! I am so excited for you :) I am looking forward to hearing how your VBAC goes. It sounds like you are making very informed decisions that are in the best interest for you, your baby, and your family. You are doing everything you possibly can do, and I think that is most important.
Good luck!! You are going to do great.
P.S. I just want to tell you again how sweet and reassuring your kind email was right before Preston was born. It was definitely what I needed to hear, and I think we were able to make his birth experience the best we possibly could given the situation because of your advice.
Post a Comment