Friday, March 5, 2010

Sleep...I don't remember what that is.

Nolan thought about sleeping through the night...and then decided that just wasn't for him. So here is our sleep saga...

For the past 3 months we have tried the following...
nursing
rocking
bouncing
holding
rice cereal (now he's on solids so this is no longer applicable)
sleeping in our bed
singing
storytelling
holding him while he's crying
letting him cry by himself

Progress...
Nolan will go to sleep for bed pretty easily. We can lie him down after our bed time routine and he will fall asleep and/or stay asleep.

Frustrations...
Nolan is still waking up every 2-4 hours and for multiple nights in a row now he has woken up and stayed up for 1-2 hours before finally falling back asleep.

Conclusion...
This is my life.


9 comments:

Renshaw Family said...

I totally hear you! Jace had a rough time which seems similar to Nolan. He would go to sleep great but when he would wake up (which was like every 2 hrs.) he would stay awake and wouldn't fall back asleep. One day it eventually clicked. There is hope! It's rough while it lasts though. Good luck!

The Hardys said...

Mega...you are not alone!! Elijah I think still woke up every two or three hours until he was like 14 months old hahaha it was truly terrible. And now he's 18 months and still cries out in the night 1 or 2 times a night, we've tried it all too. Those moms that say their child sleeps 12 solid hours through the night at 8 weeks old are lying!! haha j/k

Kevin & Rhiannon said...

I think all kids go through multiple sleep stages in their lives. I used to think, this kid is awesome at sleeping through the night. Then teething happens, he gets sick, etc. I hope this stage won't last long for Nolan. It will get better.

jenniferhoiyin said...

i'm so there. really. one day is awesome then the next is completely different and craziness. i hear it all gets better though; when they move out.

xxx!!

Richie the Kcid said...

Megan, call Angell anytime and you two can swap stories. Danny is still a champion night owl. Although the other day after going to bed 1.5 hours late, he woke up at his normal 5:30, then slept again till 8 in bed with Angell! Nice.

Megan King said...

Ok ever since I put this post up and had ya'lls comments I have felt remarkably better about my son's sleeping woes. Thank you for helping me to know that I am not alone. Even late at night I have been able to embrace the situation and just be there for my baby and his needs. Thanks for being such great friends! I love you all.

DeWitts said...

Too funny that you follow the Little Green Notebook. Jennika is Brian's cousin. Small world.

Danielle said...

Oh Megan, that is rough! Hang in there he will figure something out soon!

Jessica said...

I'm ready for some new pictures and updates!!