Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Approaching an end...

Well to VBAC or not to VBAC...we will find out soon enough! Last Monday I went in for my last OB/GYN appointment...yay! I was so anxious about it because the previous appt. I hadn't dialated at all and that made me really uptight about the approaching inducement date. This appointment he checked me and said I was at a 2! I made it to a 2! I never did that with Nolan. I felt so victorious! I am about 75-80% effaced too. While he was checking me he went ahead and stripped my membranes to help me become even more ready for the inducement date. So, Monday April 11th is the day folks! I will show up at 8am and hopefully have a successful vaginal delivery by the end of the day.

Some concerns...I would prefer (greatly) to go natural with the labor and delivery. My doctor said that he is all for natural child birth, but wanted me to know that if for some reason a c-section became necessary in an  emergency situation and I didn't have an epidural in, I would have to put under general anesthesia...UGH! I highly doubt that this will happen. I'm mostly hoping no one tries to encourage the epidural too much because I don't want to have to continually fight it off (or make Blaine).

Also, at my appointment I asked if it looked like he would brake my water first and then pitocin or the other way around. He said that if the baby was positioned where she is now next Monday we would probably have to do pitocin first rather then breaking my water because she isn't low enough to be able to handle the breaking of the water and not flipping around and going breach. That concerns me because of the wanting to go natural thing. I've heard that being on pitocin makes the contractions a lot more difficult because it isn't necessarily your body taking control (bummer!)

But...I really want to be able to deliver vaginally. I am going to stay focused on having a natural birth but not lose sight of getting to that ultimate goal of a VBAC.

Interesting...since this is my second birth I haven't been getting all the labor/birth stories from people like when I was pregnant with my first. And now I want to hear them more then ever! I want to know how labor started for various people, how it progressed, how it felt, how long it lasted, etc. etc. etc. So, if anyone feels like sharing I really would love to hear! And hopefully, I can add my story to it!

Well, the next post will very likely be an introduction to my little girl...yay!!!! No more then 4 days away!

8 comments:

Breezy Skye said...

I know everyone has their own vision of how they want there labor and delivery to go. And I don't want to sound like I'm against anything. However I had an epidural with all three of my deliveries, and it really didn't take away from experiencing having a baby vaginally. Granted my epidural didn't work with my first two but it was worth it to have. My sister in law was insistence that she have her first baby naturally, she ended up having to push for two hours with no epidural and screwed up her hips and couldn't walk for two weeks. I think the only thing that I would suggest is doing whatever would make the experience the most enjoyable. Being in severe pain will make it impossible to enjoy everything that is happening. My epidural worked with Talli, my only one, and hers was the most enjoyable delivery, I wasn't focused on the pain and just wanting it to be over. I was just able to enjoy having her. So if you want to go natural definitely give it a try but don't be so opposed to having an epidural that your in so much pain you can't enjoy the birth of your little girl. And yes pitocin makes the contractions hurt a lot more and for me at least it hurt so so so bad to have my water broke by the doctor with out the epidural. Just something to think about.

Cortney Clegg said...

I agree with you and your doctor- being induced will already make it a bit more difficult to go naturally. So, do what you can in that regard, but maybe have the main goal be to just go vaginally. (keeping in mind that more "interventions" can - not always- cause more complications.)
It will be a wonderful day no matter what because you will get to hold your sweet little girl at the end. :)
*and btw, I was only 2cm and 90% effaced with both boys at the very end of my pregnancies and when I reached that point, I delivered within 2-4 days. And both labors were under 5 hours. I swear by that late pregnancy tonic. :)

hailey said...

If you're up all night on the toilet with a sick stomach you're probably going to have the baby soon! (unless you ate mexican food that night.:) Can't wait for her to get here!!! Please let me know if I can help with anything! And good luck, you'll do amazing.

Jill Ash said...

Hi Megan!!! You are almost there! How exciting! I have worked labor and delivery for many years as an RN, so when it can to my delivery I was pretty nervous. I have taken care of so many women, epidural or not, vbac's and stat sections. I (thankfully) went into natural labor with my daughter at around 39.5 weeks. My water broke on it's own and I ended up not having to receive pitocin. But I labored during the night when all the docs were asleep, so probably the reason why I didn't receive any interventions. I wanted to feel contractions, but after 6cm, I was done, ha. My epidural worked fabulousely, and I really enjoyed Avery's birth. I did decide to be open and not the L&D nurse, and just be the patient. But everyone's body and story is different. The only advice I have for you is to trust the process, your body, your docs, and the nurses taking care of you. The main reason induction's can be hard is due to the duration. But you know that going in. 2cm is a great starting place. You seem pretty prepared, so I am sure you will do great! Can't wait to see your next post! Congrats again,
~Jill

emily and jeremy said...

I have my birth story on my blog, search April of 2010. If you have prepared to go natural, have confidence in your decision. Preparation is the key factor in the success of a 'natural' childbirth. (those who actively choose natural...) I took Bradley classes and what I remember the most was in the early stages of labor, stay home as long as you possible can...focus on relaxing your whole body for the top of your head to your toes because you want to work with the contractions and not against them. You are not alone, this is a time to rely on your husband for anything you need.

Be strong, be flexible and remember the goal is to have a healthy mom and baby!

I can't wait to see pictures of your soon-to-be family of 4!!!

georgandlaurasuhren said...

Megan Your awesome and I hope it goes how you want it to. I was trying the totally natural way too and went for over 20 hours without an epidural, but I was in so much pain with Ella Sunny side up and back labor, and after fighting off the epidural for all that time, I knew I needed it, after that labor progressed, but I know it was a good thing we waited and I toughed it out so long. You'll know what to do. Here is my friends experience after 2 c-sections if you want and/or have time to read it. Love ya! Yeah for girls!
http://lkmortensenfamily.blogspot.com/

The Leakes said...

Oh Megan! I am SO excited for you and for your new little family of four! All I am going to say is I have had epidurals with both my kids (both times I was induced, they weren't coming on their own, I got pitocin first, and than they broke my water). For me, pitocin is not bad until my water breaks, than the contractions come so fast and they hurt so bad. I couldn't imagine doing it without an epidural, and for me and Richard, it really does make the whole delivery much more enjoyable and relaxing. But, to each his own! Regardless of what happens, I wish you a very happy, happy day on Monday! I'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way! Take care my dear!

The Mortensens said...

Hi Megan, this is Janell, Laura's friend. First of all, I want to say congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby girl! Also, I think it's great that you are choosing to do a VBAC. :)

I have so many things to say--things I wish I would have known or done for my first VBAC attempt, but I'll try to keep it short.

1) I'm so glad that you want to labor naturally. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who is doing a VBAC. It's great that people have good experiences with epidurals, but when you are having a VBAC, the odds are higher of a repeat c/s when you have medication. I'm sure you already know this! I hope you have been able to practice relaxing, because it really does help!

2) I would really advise against pitocin if at all possible with VBAC. (In fact, it is illegal here in TX).
Also, I'm so glad that your doctor advised against breaking your water. It makes it harder for baby to turn when your water is broken, and this can cause complications in having a VBAC. I wish I hadn't have had my water broken during labor with my second. He needed to turn and couldn't. I also had an epidural, so that didn't help either.

If you want to get your labor going naturally, try drinking this: put 1 oz (about 10 bags or so) of Red Rasperry LEAF Tea in 1 pint of boiling water. Let it steep for 30 minutes and then drink as much as possible. It will be disgusting and may make you feel sick to your stomach, but it will probably send you into labor. It will also make your labor go faster. It did with me and it seemed to do so in many other stories that I read.

My friend, Anna, (Laura's friend too) did a chemical analysis of RRLT for her thesis, and her conclusion was that it does start labor because of the elements contained in the tea. It started my labor and labor for my midwife too. She swears by it!

3) Do you know the position of your baby? This can make a BIG difference in how your labor goes. If your baby is posterior like Laura's was, you're likely to have a longer more difficult labor. This was a big concern for me since I ended up with c/s with my first two due to positioning problems (coupled with interventions). There are things you can do to encourage baby to be in the optimal fetal position before and during labor. If you don't know, I would just pray/get a blessing.

4) Which brings me to the most important thing you can do: pray a lot. I know you already read this on my blog, but I can't say it enough!

You're body is made to do this. Have no doubt about that. It's really hard to stand up for what you want when you are in labor (at least it is for me) so make sure your husband knows what you want and is willing to stand up for what you know is best.


Best of luck to you! I hope I didn't go on too long. If you have any questions, let me know. I can't wait to read your VBAC story!