Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our own real life episode of "Cops"

Often times Blaine and I will sit on our porch and eat dinner, dessert, or just enjoy a nice conversation. As we have done so, we have been real people watchers. Well, the people across the street from us have kept us intrigued. In the two months that we have been living here, we have seen at least a dozen to twenty different cars hang out at that house along with a huge variety of folks coming and going. Rarely do we see the same person or car at the house coming and going longer then a week or so. We don't know who actually lives there either because there doesn't seem to be much consistency. The kinds of people coming and going range from all ages too, teenagers to adults and everything in between. Their blinds are often closed and most of the action seems to take place starting in the evening and lasting to the morning.  We have come up with a few conclusions but all based on speculation...really this probably isn't the best hobby!

Well, the other night I was having trouble sleeping (surprise, surprise right?!) and so I moved myself to the couch to try another place to sleep. When I came out to the living room I looked out our window to find 3 policemen at the house across the street. They were walking around and knocking on the door, but no one was answering. Finally, someone let them inside the house, but after some time the cops left and it didn't seem like much happened. I was confused at this point because I was convinced there was a drug operation going on over there.

2 nights later...still with me? The cops were back...this time 4 of them. There were a bunch of people coming out of the house and either leaving or standing on the porch. A few parents showed up to take their kids home it looked like. We ended up getting out binoculars to get a better look...we are so funny and were so intrigued! (I promise we are not the nosy neighbors! How can you resist the excitement of police action and justice...) We saw the cops give one kid a ticket of some sort, bring out 2 smoking pipes with marijuana in them, and a couple grocery bags which we assume were filled with more marijuana, and then arrest a girl. It was crazy! I am pretty naive, obviously, and it felt very strange to be so close to this sort of action. We are assuming the girl who got arrested is the primary renter and everyone else were party attendees. 

The girls car was searched and the rest of the house was searched and then the cops drove away having done their job.

Moral of story...don't do drugs! They are stupid and you will eventually get caught and all the neighbors will know!

Boulder City really is a safe place though...but I'm pretty glad this was taken care of before my son came into the world and I brought him home to a house right next to a drug operation! What a good mom huh?! :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Scary! When we first moved into our house in Camas, our next door neighbors were secretly operating an escort service. They got arrested a couple months after we moved in. The things people get themselves into!

Kevin & Rhiannon said...

Sounds like Orem. We have a couple of drug dealers across the street too. It's amusing to see all the people go in and out. They also put "4-20" on their roof in Christmas lights. Classic.

Christi Ellis said...

Ahhhh Megan I'm so glad Jessica recently revealed to me that you had a blog too. I had an experience very much like this just 2 nights ago...it is SOOOO scary! Well I woke up in the middle of the night to the most blood curdling scream I've ever heard. It was so scary and you better believe I was the nosy neighbor and have been ever since! All I gotta say is 1)I've never been more grateful for the police before and 2)whoever said it first that Griffin adn I are living in the Ghetto of Orem hit it on the head! :)